Friday, March 9, 2012

Apple Cake

Chocolate and bundt have been causing a bit of a rut for me.  So it was time to mix things up a bit.  Enter, fruit.  It was time to mix things up a bit here in the oven but I don't know anything about baking with fruit so I consulted Melissa Gray again.  Her cookbook, All Cakes Considered is now one of my favorites.

I tried out her Fresh Apple Cake recipe, but I didn't have the Granny Smith apples that she used, so I substituted Pink Ladies.  I also didn't like that the recipe called for 1 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.  I decided to risk it and I only added 1 cup of Canola Oil. (I almost always use canola instead of vegetable since it's a healthier choice for the hearts in our house.)

The batter was still quite oily:



In my oven this cake should have baked for 70 mins.  The recipe called for 60 and the boy who was waiting for cake before bed convinced me to take it out after 58.  This meant that the center of the cake was not baked enough, however the cake was still plenty tasty.  The cinnamon and nutmeg flavors came through and the apples and walnuts made for wonderful texture.  The best part about this cake was the top of it had the texture of a giant cookie.  We will make this cake again in the fall during apple picking season.  I wonder how it will taste with my very favorite apples, SweeTangoes!




2 comments:

  1. Yummy! You know, you can also substitute applesauce for vegetable oil when you're baking which seems like it'd be perfect for this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! I will try subbing the applesauce come Fall. I'm always hesitant to switch up a recipe too much on the first go around but this one is definitely worth perfecting.

    ReplyDelete