Sunday, January 22, 2012

Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

This time around I followed Mellisa Gray's recipe for Brown Sugar Pound Cake and a I used her cream cheese frosting.  Obviously, I can 't share every one of the recipes from All Cakes Considered or you'd never have a reason to go out and buy her book.  That wouldn't be fair to her and she would probably want to come to my house and beat me up.


One thing I am learning is that most recipes ask you to get your butter and eggs to room temperature before you begin.  This is one step of the recipe that I am endlessly forgetting.  This time around I remembered!  I'm still unsure of how it makes the cake better, but I will let you know when I find out.



This recipe contained a ridiculous amount of brown sugar and when I tasted the batter it seemed far too sweet for my tastes.  (Yes, I know I shouldn't eat the batter for fear of salmonella but it's for the good of the cause.)




The recipe's bake time was 70 minutes.  I took the cake out after 55 minutes.


I had my super-cute taste-tester try the frosting to make sure that it was to her liking.  It was.




The husband and the boy thought that the cake was better accompanied with ice cream.  So far, this is my favorite cake.   I'm in love with the brown sugar flavor.  Today, I served up a piece of cake with a glass of milk while I read my book and I savored every bite.  I think that next time I make it though, I will add a few more hand fulls of the chopped walnuts.

Update: I brought the cake into work to get more feedback. This cake was much loved.  It is a pound cake and a pound cake brings a different cake-texture to the table than most are used to.  The Brown Sugar Pound Cake is great with morning coffee or a late night glass of milk.  This is not a dessert cake and is certainly not the cake texture that you are used to in store-bought baked goods.

1 comment:

  1. I'm savoring my last couple of bites with my coffee... delicious. This is just my style of cake, sweet without being sugary-layer-cake-like, with just a kiss of frosting and nuts. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete