Friday, May 4, 2012

Dar's Rhubarb Bundt

I was lucky enough to spend 7 years working near a most lovable woman: Twyla.  She shared many words of wisdom and hilarious anecdotes with me over the years.  This woman has taught me so many things about life and love and now she taught me what to do with rhubarb, what a woman!

I have heard many wonderful and quirky stories about Twyla and her family over the years.  The stories she would tell would make anyone want to spend a holiday with this family in their small South Dakota town.  Twyla also shared with me, her sister Dar's Rhubarb Bundt.

This cake is a winner and now that rhubarb season is here, get in the kitchen!




Dar's Rhubarb Bundt

1. Cream together: 1/2 c shortening, 1 c white sugar, 1/2 c brown sugar and 1 egg

2. Sift together: 2 1/2 c flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda

3. Combine dry and wet ingredients while mixing in 1 c buttermilk

4. Add: 2 c rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, 1/2 c chopped pecans, 1 tsp vanilla

5. Make Topping Mix: 1/2 c white sugar, 1tsp cinnamon

6. Grease Bundt Pan (preferably with Hope Butter) and sprinkle 1/2 of topping mix in bottom of pan.

7. Pour batter into Bundt Pan and sprinkle other 1/2 of topping mix on the top of the batter.

8. Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees or until that good 'ol toothpick comes out clean.

***Serve with cinnamon ice cream and hot coffee for breakfast on a lazy Saturday morning***

1 comment:

  1. This cake was so good! I'm surprised to see the rhubarb wasn't macerated at all, it was tangy but not bitter so I assumed it was. Makes it easier this way!

    I love the composition of your top photo. There's something about the angle of the cake on the plate that is lovely. Slices of Bundt cake can be hard to photograph.

    ReplyDelete