Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Turtle Cake = Fail

How disappointing that the first recipe that I failed at was for my dear mother's birthday cake.  Thankfully, she has been able to taste many of the cakes that I have made so all isn't lost... but still, it was the woman's BIRTHDAY for Pete's sake!

I tried to make a turtle cake.  I used my basic chocolate cake recipe and filled the pan with half of the batter and baked for 20 mins.  Then I took it out and layered with caramel and pecans.  I poured in the rest of the batter and baked for another 25 minutes.  The cake was not bad... but it was not great either.  What needed to happen was the layer of caramel and pecan's needed to be doubled.  Also I used jar caramel because I was in a pinch.... next time I melt down caramels with heavy cream.  Then the top needed a second layer of caramel and pecans.

I will try this one again as it was the perfect selection for my turtle sundae-loving mother.

I won't post the recipe here because well, it was kind of sucky.  And of all the cakes posted here on this blog, this is not the one you should make.  Look for a revamped Turtle Cake soon.

Happy Birthday Mom!



1 comment:

  1. I thought it was wonderful...as was the time spent with all of you on my birthday! I love you all so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete